Psalm 146:5–9 ESV
5 Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 who made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that is in them,
who keeps faith forever;
7 who executes justice for the oppressed,
who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free;
8 the Lord opens the eyes of the blind.
The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down;
the Lord loves the righteous.
9 The Lord watches over the sojourners;
he upholds the widow and the fatherless,
but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.
Psalm 89:14 ESV
14 Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne;
steadfast love and faithfulness go before you.
Psalm 10:17–18 ESV
17 O Lord, you hear the desire of the afflicted;
you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear
18 to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed,
so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more.
Psalm 82:3–4 ESV
3 Give justice to the weak and the fatherless;
maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.
4 Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”
Father, we cry out today as we come boldly to your throne of grace, in the name of Jesus...
• for the Floyd family - we grieve. We ask that you, the God of all comfort, would comfort this grieving family who will reel for generations
• for an end to the violence erupting in many of our cities.
• and for justice for the officers who were fired and the officer who was arrested.
• for those in our own community who are gripped by fear.
• for law enforcement officers in our church, and in general, for courage and restraint.
• for our community’s divisions to be healed - locally, regionally, nationally.
• we pray that the rulers in government would have the wisdom to balance and answer the competing claims of justice, security, due process, and freedom of speech. That they would come to know you and lead by your Word and truth.
Lord we recognize that this is not civil disagreement - we are at war with the Father of Lies, Satan himself.
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
Proverbs 18:5 ESV
5 It is not good to be partial to the wicked
or to deprive the righteous of justice.
Proverbs 29:26 ESV
26 Many seek the face of a ruler,
but it is from the Lord that a man gets justice.
Lord, today we ask you for healing and for kindness in our hearts.
Lord, we refuse to allow the racial tension to drive a wedge between us or to frighten us into silence in proclaiming truth and confronting the sin in our own hearts.
Draw us to the deep waters of repentance that we might know your grace and mercy anew today.
Teach us to lament as we desire to move forward on this journey toward seeking your grace together.